Like coconut oil, coconut milk is also considered good for your hair. It strengthens your hair, reduces hair loss, and helps your hair grow faster. Moreover, it makes your hair soft, smooth, and works as a hair conditioner, too.
Plus, it is beneficial for healing problems like scalp dermatitis, dandruff, and hair breakage. Coconut milk is loaded with essential fatty acids and protein that facilitate hair growth.
Furthermore, it is rich in B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, selenium, etc.
Thus, you can consume coconut milk and even apply it on your hair regularly to encourage healthy growth of hair.
Drinking coconut milk also assists in weight loss and strengthens the immune system. In addition, it has anti-microbial properties.
Individuals suffering from lactose intolerance, too, can take coconut milk because it is lactose-free. It is good for your skin as well.
You can either get coconut milk from a grocery store or make it yourself at home.
To prepare homemade coconut milk, blend one cup of dried coconut meat (shredded) in a blender along with three cups of hot water for a couple of minutes until the mixture becomes creamy on the top.
Pour this mixture through cheesecloth or nut milk bag to strain the liquid. You can store this coconut milk in the refrigerator for about four to five days. Check out this video showing how to make coconut milk using a whole fresh coconut.
How to Use Coconut Milk for Hair Care
- Simply massaging the scalp with coconut milk and washing your hair with lukewarm water after an hour or two is highly beneficial for promoting hair growth and treating hair loss. Follow this process on a weekly basis, or at least every two to three weeks.
- Regular application of a combination of aloe vera gel, wheat germ oil, and organic coconut milk is considered excellent for hair growth.
- Use protein treatment on your hair by applying a mixture of coconut milk, avocado pulp, a little extra-virgin olive oil, and honey.
- Make a deep conditioning hair mask by blending together two cups of coconut milk, a quarter cup of aloe vera gel, a quarter cup of organic honey, 10 drops each of lavender and rosemary essential oil.
In case the mixture becomes too runny, you may add more coconut milk and honey in it. On the other hand, if it becomes too thick, consider adding more aloe vera in it. Leave this recipe in your hair for 20-30 minutes before washing it out.
- Similarly, you can make a deep conditioner by mixing two teaspoons of castor oil and a teaspoon of aloe vera gel in a cup of coconut milk.
- To increase shine in your hair and stimulate hair growth, take a cup of coconut milk and add two tablespoons of gram flour in it. Apply this simple hair mask for 30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- Another effective way to nourish your hair, boost hair growth, and prevent hair fall is to use a combination of coconut milk and amla oil (Indian Gooseberry) or powder on your hair and scalp. It also reduces dandruff and prevents premature graying of hair.
- When dealing with hair loss, you may massage half a cup of coconut milk mixed with a quarter teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder and one by eighth teaspoon of black pepper onto your scalp.
- Mix lime juice in coconut milk and keep the solution in the refrigerator for two to three hours. After some time, you will find a creamy layer on top of this mixture. Apply this cream on your hair and shampoo your hair after half an hour.
- You can also add coconut milk to your conditioner by mixing a quarter cup of coconut milk and two tablespoons of honey in a quarter cup of conditioner. Leave it in your hair for about an hour before rinsing it off. You can use this treatment every few weeks.